Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Full on philosophy

To be human is to belong. Belonging is a circle that embraces everything; if we reject it, we damage our nature. The word 'belonging' holds together the two fundamental aspects of life: being and longing, the Longing of our being and the Being of our longing. Belonging is deep; only in a superficial sense does it refer to our external attachment to people, places and things. It is the living and passionate presence of the soul. ~ John O'Donohue

I've been pondering on this thought all day and trying to understand if you don't feel that you belong to a place, culture, religion etc then what do you belong to?
But I think I already had the answer from a lightbulb moment in whilst Switzerland. This was my journal entry...

"It all makes sense to me now! I am nobody. Yet part of everything and everyone around me. Everything I think is a collection of thoughts that have been passed to me from somebody else. In effect I am a vessel, an empty space, filled with what the world provides me. There is, in reality, no 'me' or 'I'. But there is us and, although we already do to some extent, we should more consciously work together to expand ideas rather than fight for individual opinions.'

So in a deeper sense we all belong to each other, like one big happy jigsaw. Somehow many people have got distracted and they've formed smaller groups, ie religion, culture, race, etc. These enrich society tenfold if approached properly, and divide by hundreds when used in a petty manner. It's basic stuff .... is it not?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home