Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Zimbabwean news

As reported by The Herald, a leading (government run) newspaper in Zimbabwe ....
Violence flares in Glen View
AS MDC escalated its violent campaign in Glen View 3 yesterday morning barricading roads, destroying property and stoning vehicles, the United Nations, United States, Britain and New Zealand joined in the fray by condemning the Zimbabwe Government for breaking up the violent protests.
The orgy of violence, which started last Sunday, continued early yesterday morning as commuter omnibuses operating in Glen View started ferrying people to their workplaces.A commuter omnibus was stoned before being overturned along Glen View Way, just opposite Glen View 3 High School, at around 5am. At Tichagarika Shopping Centre, the rampaging youths uprooted and destroyed a phone shop cabin, which they later used to barricade Willowvale Road.
Sources said the violence was part of a broader campaign by the youths to cause chaos in the suburb. Police quickly moved in to quell the violence and by around 6am, the situation was generally calm with residents going about their normal business. However, riot police maintained a heavy presence in the restive suburb.
Police spokesperson Chief Inspector Andrew Phiri confirmed the outbreak of violence and said three people had been arrested. While the MDC youths were on the rampage, a spokesman for UN Secretary-General Mr Ban Ki-moon said the UN boss was concerned about reports that opposition leaders were beaten up in police custody, and called on the Government to release them and guarantee their safety.
Contacted for comment, the Government said it had taken note of the statement attributed to the UN chief concerning the arrest and assault of opposition leaders and would issue an appropriate response in due course. Said Presidential spokesman Cde George Charamba: "We have noted the statement attributed to the spokesperson of the UN Secretary-General. We have also noted its contents which we are studying and quite soon the Zimbabwean Government will respond to the statement attributed to the Secretary-General."
The MDC unleashed violence on Sunday in Highfield after the party attempted to hold a rally at Zimbabwe Grounds in defiance of a police ban on rallies, political gatherings and demonstrations in Harare for three months.
The rally was disguised as a prayer meeting, convened under the auspices of the so-called Save Zimbabwe Campaign.
Continued article here.
And for international news, here.

Labels: , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home